Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week 3

Camila

In viewing this week’s movie Camila, it has become apparent how deeply embedded the Catholic religion is in Latino cultures. The Catholic Church was so present in the decisions of everyday life during that time. The disaster of loosing your life for making the wrong choice was not difficult to do. Camila and Ladisloa paid the ultimate price for love, their lives. At the hands of a power ridden, emotionless father and a government that released their violence by any excuse they could even love. The beliefs ran so strong and rigid, fully powered by the Catholic Church. In a time where if you were poor you were sleeping on the ground and working as slaves to the rich, primarily if you were of African descent. Choices were very few in this movie and falling in love with a priest was far from an option. This true story explains to a lot of today’s strong Catholic values. Although today’s life is free to make choices, the strong will and belief system continues to be a deep value in certain cultures and religions of Latino people. This oppression that Camila had to live through was all a part of a power ridden people of that time. And interestingly I see that it wasn’t only the American culture that found it necessary to keep African American’s as slaves and refer to them in derogatory terms. Power and pride aided in the loss of three lives, where in today’s world many people would only wish to love to that extent even just once in their lifetime.



5 Questions

1. Independence period of Latin America:
The 18th and 19th century wars against the European people that had taken over Latin America, these led to Latin American Independence. It seems to have taken place not to long after the 1776 independence of North America. Also appears to be wars against the Spanish that had taken over as early as Christopher Columbus days. The specific time refers to 1806-1825 for the actual Latin Independence movement.

2. Present time or contemporary Latin America Means:

3. What is MOLAA and how does artwork or events regarding artistic events combine elements of the past and present?



4. What do you usually do when you visit a museum and view a piece of art?
When I view art I try to look deep into the piece and look for emotion, I am usually drawn to those that immediately expel emotion or tragedy. I usually focus on the feeling, the colors, and knowing about the artist is helpful in understand the work at times.

5. Previously I learned to think of what represents the art, but this week I thought hard about what caught my eye, particularly in the question about what brings your eyes from place to place. For me it was one emotion to the next and the more I looked at it the more I felt. After reading the bio I only further understood where the emotion of the artist was coming from. But sometimes not knowing is interesting too, trying to figure it out on my own.






MOLAA Art Critique

I viewed the Arnaldo Roche: Brotherhood / Hermandad past exhibit

1. What stands out the most when you first see it?
For me I first noticed this piece of art because of the deep eye contact you get from the faces, very powerful. I feel that Latin people and culture is so strong in their expression of feeling.

2. How come you notice the thing you mention in number 1? The first picture of the sequence of three has very deep anger in the eyes to me, but then I looked into the eyes of the two after it and they have a soft and very different impression on me. The anger was impressive though

3. As you keep looking, what else seems important? To me the indigenous sense to it, these men remind me of African warriors. They seem to be trying to speak with their eyes.

4. How come the thing you mention in number 3 seem important? As I am learning more and more in this class I am learning that there was a large population of African and Native American presence in Latin America, something I am embarrassed to say I didn’t previously know. But I feel that this picture is a representation of that blend of people, and also a strong sense of battles fought, and anger still building up in people.

5. How has contrast been used? The use of color is huge for this piece; the orange and black contract is very eye catching, for me especially. Also the contrasting voices in the eyes are interesting to.

6. What leads your eye around from place to place? The color first off, but also the beautiful form of lush type plants on the heads of the people, it is very interesting and mesmerizing to me.

7. What tells you about the style used by this artist? Very confronting art, very contrasting colors, and very bold style to me.

8. What seems to be hiding in this composition? How come? The reason for the anger, fear, and sadness, I can only guess what it could be, but it is present that is for sure, why I do not know.
It is possible that is obvious and I am still learning the culture to figure it out. But perhaps it is anger of land and life being stolen from a people, one of culture and strong, bold lifestyles.


9. Imagine the feelings and meanings this artwork represents? Write a few notes about them here.
After reading the Bio I now understand that his work is a self portrait and that he often refers back to his sibling. I now think that this picture is a reflection of the pain and suffering he went through as a child loosing loved ones. I purposely read the bio after my critiquing of the art, so it is interesting to read where this artist comes from. Also the life like technique he uses explains the realness of the plant objects I first noticed.

10. What titles could you give this artwork? Layered with temperament

11. What other things interest you about this artwork?

Just simply how real it looks, and how strong of emotion it holds, and the again the colors are striking.

10 Multiple Questions Week 3

Who loved to share her love letters with Camila?

Her servant
Her sister
Her grandmother **
Her Mother
Her Aunt

In what year was the setting of Buenos Aires, Argentina when Camila was show grown up?
1857
1827
1927
1847 **
1877

Who was Camila to marry?
Ignacio **]
Mariano
Rosas
Gutierrez
Eduardo

At what event was Camila blind-folded and comes face to face with Ladisloa?
Dia de Los Muertos
Her Birthday**
Her sisters wedding
New Years
Early Sunday morning

Why was Camila sent away from the dinner table by her father?
For refusing to marry
Standing up against the unjust violence in her town***
Running away
Reading an outlawed book
Bad table manner

What two options does Camila’s father give her for life?
Work and go to school
Marry or join the convent**
Join the revolution
Help with the farm
Live in silence

Why does Father Gutierrez whip himself?
for sinning and having feelings for Camila***
Leaving the Church
Not having enough faith
Speaking out against the federation
Listening to Camila and her confessions

What does Father Gutierrez tell Camila by the Bells?
Kiss me
Run away from me
You must confess your sins
I can only give you scandal and shame***
I must repent to god

What assumed name did Camila live under?
Consuelo
Maria
Adriana
Valatina***
RosaLinda

What does Camila’s mother say to her father when he made his choice about his daughters sin?
A.“I curse the day I met you, you only care about your name, you are sick with pride!”
B. “You have made a good choice, what else could we do?”
C.“ I will pray for a sign and an answer to our dilemma”
D. “You will regret this day”
E. “Love in in the beholder”



Sample Questions from Students Blogs


1. All Latin American countries celebrate their Independence
· on October 15th
· on the first full moon in March
· on separate days from each other*
· twice a year
· on January 1st


2. What took place during Latin America's independence period?a. peaceb. Independence wars*c. WWIId. The Cold Ware. The Big Bang

What happened to Camila and Ladislao ultimately in the end?They were: imprisoned, pardoned, escaped, *killed, drowned at sea


2. Argentina gained independence from ____________.
a. Spain
b. Portugal
c. The Viceroyalty of Peru*
d. France
e. England

When was the movie made?
a. 1876 b. 1999 c. 1923 d.*1984 e. 2005


What does MOLAA stand for:
A. Mobile Outdoor Living Arena Area
B. Museum Of Life Autonomy Acrobats
C. Museum Of Latin America Art*
D. Mopeds Of Little Alpine Arctic
E. None of the above


Puerto Rico and Cuba were the last two countries Spain had control over. How were they freed from Spain’s control?

a. Attack by the Spanish Armadab. by the Spanish Civil Warc. Thirty Years Ward. War of Independence of Northern South Americae. Spanish-American War*

What was Camila’s first interaction with Father Ladislao?a. Political dinerb. Confession*c. Communiond. Easter Celebratione. Funeral

What would Camila do secretly? an5.) What would Camila do secretly?a.Read literature of the regime*b.Write love lettersc.Plan to murder Ignaciod.Write her own books.e.Never did anything secretything secret

At what age did Fermina Daza want to be married by?a) 21*b) 28c) 18d) 17e) 32


Dialogue Sample

When I researched the Independence period of Latin America I found that many other students had a lot of the same information, however one student did a lot of specific research on Puerto Rico and even some on Argentina, this was very interesting. One thing I learned was that the Independence period was different depending on what country you were in and that there was so much oppression in Latin America at the hands of European colonialists and Spaniards.

No comments:

Post a Comment